Sunday, September 14, 2008

Technical Trail

I parked low and began about 3:30. I didn't take Eddie because I expected the trails to be too muddy and I don't have a cover on my back seat right now. The few muddy spots were small and navigable except for one. That one was such a mess that I had to take off my boots after returning to my car.

There were lots of cars in the lot so I decided not to take the full yellow. Instead I went a little west, then followed the trail just to the east of the Tadpole all the way north and looped around on the ridge trail. I had forgotten how technical that particular trail is. Hey, if cyclists can call it technical then so can a hiker!

Shortly past the turtle-head boulder I took a left down to the tarantula trail. It also has substantial technical areas. In fact, toward the south there was an area where the trail had collapsed in a muddy slide. Thankfully that area is so rocky that folks kept the trail going. I was glad I had my Leki with me, as it enabled me to work my way down, through, and around the area. The last time I was there was in March '08 with L, and it wasn't like that then.

I briefly spoke with a man and his young son who asked if they were on the right trail. I saw a 3 or 4 other groups of hikers, heard a couple more, but not once had to stop or step off the trail to let anyone pass. It was WONDERFUL.

Things I could have taken photos of if I'd taken my camera, which I almost did:
1) a cute baby ring-necked snake. It was about 5 - 51/2 inches long and stopped and posed for me! I didn't pick it up because I was afraid of snake ass, and I didn't have a squirt bottle or sweat rag with me to clean up.
2) another eastern velvet ant; boy that's disappointing!
3) a red-spotted purple admiral. I could have taken several good shots of it, and I don't have a pic of one yet. The only other red-spotted I've seen on TM was last year, and it was dead.
4) the area where the tarantula trail had collapsed - but it will be there next time!

Today as I was getting ready to leave for the hike, I realized how many choices I have:
1) hydration backpack, or double-bottle waistpack, or carry water
2) Leki or not
3) Eddie or not
4) hiking boots 1, hiking boots 2, or my new trail shoes
5) camera or not (and then I have to choose which lens)
6) Garmin or not. OK, that's not really a choice. I love using it!
7) sweat rag or not - I would always choose to take it, but sometimes I forget

For this hike I chose no camera, hiking boots 2 (best for mud), Leki (because of mud and thank goodness I had it), no Eddie (because of mud), and waistpack. I feel all dorked out with the Leki, waistpack, and boots, but then I feel the same way with the backpack.

Total hike was 3.51 miles, 1 hr, 43 min, with an average speed of 2.1 mph. The slowness was due to the 'technical' nature.

And because today's hike was so slow, I just took an evening hike in the hood: 1.61 mi, 29 min, 18.18 ave pace. My ave pace goal is 15, which is 4 mph. I would like to reach that by '09.

Temps have been coolish here. Tonight it's about 60. I got a little warm while on TM this afternoon, but made it without a sweat rag and w/o using my t-shirt as a sweat rag. If I'd remember to take one, though, I would have used it.

No comments:

Post a Comment