Monday, September 15, 2008

Losing My Freedom

All day today I couldn't wait to get out to TM. I made good time and Ed and I were parked and starting about 5:30. The Garmin was really slow locating satellites, and it finally said *low battery*, then found some satellites and off we went.

I set the Garmin to do the 5-mile (aka 3.82 mile) loop, but taking my favorite craggy shortcut straight up to the top. I wanted to use my virtual partner. At 1 min, 27 sec Eddie stopped to poop. He is very polite and steps off the trail, then I get a stick and fling it into the depths of the woods. I used to take plastic bags, pick it up, tie it to my backpack, etc. But soon realized every other dog poops out there, and most of them right smack dab ON THE TRAIL. So I consider myself and Eddie polite and considerate.

Anyway, the next time I looked at my Garmin was about 1/2 way up the crag, and it was off! By *low battery* , it apparently means *battery will last about 5 more minutes*. I was so disappointed, and it really took the steam out of my step. My mind began regrouping, and I decided I would still take the same route because I knew its exact length and I could still record it in my Training Center on the computer. Then I thought I would meander along the top of the mountain, since I couldn't watch my Garmin. Then I decided to go to the north end of the ridge and hitch a left loop, returning on the dreaded tadpole. In other words, without my Garmin I feel free to go where ever I want without a solid plan. With my Garmin I'm wanting to compete with myself or the "marked" trail. I'm sure as I get more experience with it I'll get back to going anywhere I want, but for now I feel like I'm locked in and losing my hiking freedom.

I was still trying to decide which route to take when my achilles tendon began bothering me. I can't remember if I mentioned it, but yesterday while wearing my Vasques my right tendon began to hurt. That had never happened before. Then last night I took a hood walk in my shoes and there was no soreness. Today, somehow, I accidently put those same shoes (semi-trail) on again instead of my real trail shoes.

So my sore tendon made my decision for me. Part way, maybe 1/2 way along the ridge, I turned left into the mountain top and meandered my way back on the lovely, largely level, non-technical tangle of trails. Very soon the soreness waned and I finished in fine form. But I'm skipping the hood walk tonight, and probably for the next couple of days.

The only thing I would have bothered taken a pic of was a little fat toady. He probably was a taddie in the spring or early summer.

Total hike, about 50 min, and about 2 miles. All estimated, unfortunately. My Garmin is charging right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment