Sunday, September 7, 2008

Saturday - No Camera... Again!

I didn't take Ed, didn't take my pole, and didn't wear my backpack. Instead I wore my new double-bottle waist pack. It's OK. During the first 30 minutes I thought it might be putting extra strain on my lower back/hip, but later I didn't even notice it. Of course, the longer I went the less weight I carried because of drinking the water!

I took the exact route as Friday evening. Again there were no pipevines at the top of the craggy trail, but I did see an eastern tiger swallowtail - the yellow and black kind. If I'd had my camera I would have stood around and waited for a landing. We are still having a bit cooler weather than usual because of Gustav (I guess) and I saw several other butterflies out. Bonus, though, as I saw a velvet ant again. It wasn't quite as large as the one I saw earlier in the summer by the upper, but my whole life = 0, and in one summer I see 2! No camera, though.

I reached the loop turn in 40 minutes. On my way back I spied an itsy bitsy new hatchling lizard, probably a skink, on the trail. It stayed in one spot and I gently picked it up and held it in my palm for a few seconds. It was soooo cute. I've never before seen a new lizard. The body was about 3/4 inch long. I set it down off to the side and it slowly sashayed away. No camera!

Total hike was 1 hr, 32 minutes... 3 minutes quicker than Friday.

Today is Sunday, I got my birthday/Christmas gift yesterday from my mom. It's a Garmin distance watch. More about it later, but now I'm getting ready to take the same hike with my new Garmin!

No comments:

Post a Comment