Sunday, September 7, 2008

3rd Consecutive Loop

I charged and tried out my new Garmin last night with 2 loops around the block. Today while writing my hiking notes I decided to go back out to TM and take the same craggy loop I took Fri and Sat. So with Ed, no pole, backpack and Garmin I set out.

It took me a bit to get the Garmin started right, and I can't even remember how far up the trailhead I was before it was all set. Not too far, though. I went straight to the top then joined the 5 mile loop. I came across only 3 or 4 bikers but LOTS of hikers and joggers with dogs. We must have met 12 or so dogs on the trail - some on lead, others not. Grrrr.

At about the same place as yesterday, somehow I spied another baby lizard. It wiggled off to the side faster than the one yesterday, but it hasn't yet honed it's hiding skills. It's teeny back legs and tail were sticking out from beneath the small piece of debris. I rustled it and it wiggled on a little further and stopped. Like yesterday I easily picked it up and held it in my palm. But unlike yesterday, today I feared I killed it. It was completely flopped on its back and didn't even move a toe. I touched and prodded it with my finger, blew on it, scrunched my palm together, and nothing.

I turned it onto its stomach and it was completely limp. I didn't know how I could have hurt it. I stood with it a while and could barely see its teeny tiny eyes. They were open. It was limp in my hand, let me move it about, and its eyes were open. I marveled at the tiniest, cutest toes I have ever seen, then put my palm by the ground and tickled its tail. It moved! I gave it a little nudge and it scurried off. I have had/held/played with lizards quite a bit but I'd never had one play 'possum on me before. Hognosed snake, yes, but lizard? Not until today. Of course I was relieved.

Even stopping with the lizard, stopping twice for Eddie to drink (which requires removal of backpack, getting out his bowl and water bottle, etc.) and waiting for him to poop, pee, pee, pee, poop, pee, pee, pee, pee, pee, pee, and stepping off trail for others to pass, I still beat my Friday time by 1 minute!

The Garmin said my official distance was 3.41 miles and time was 1 hr, 34 min. Next time I'll make sure I get it set correctly in the parking lot, I'll take the long, regular route the whole way and see how long it is.

The Garmin is really cool. At home I looked at the map of the route and other stuff from the hike. I read more in the manual, and got so excited that tonight I took a neighborhood walk with it (and Eddie, too.) My walk was 1.05 miles from my porch back to my porch. 21 minutes, so about 3 mi/hr, which right now is what my goal is. So far my lower back is holding up just fine. Maybe my new shoes make a difference. I'm also concentrating on keeping my stride just a wee bit shorter than I'd naturally go.

So now I've walked on concrete in the hood several times with no resultant spasms. I will gradually increase my distance as I prepare for our vacation.

Hydration backpack - $60
Leki - $75
New trail shoes - $90
New socks - $10 (they are soooo worth it!)
Garmin - $200
Partaking in one of life's best pleasures - you know the drill!

No comments:

Post a Comment