Sunday, September 7, 2008

Friday After Work Hike

I'm behind in noting my hikes: today is Sunday. Friday was completely lovely. I had an early morning meeting at a location near TM, and drove by it on my way back to my regular workplace. I wanted to stop and hike so badly I hurt. By afternoon it was a bit warmer but still nice enough to take an evening hike. I hurried home, got ready, got Eddie ready and we were there at 5:32. We parked low and took the regular 5-mile.

I went straight to the top, using my favorite way, then joined up with the ridge trail. The place where the pipevine swallowtails were having fun in the springtime was empty, but on ahead for a long stretch the blue damselflies were plentiful and busy.

The prehistoric turtle head is always a wonderful sight, and as I passed it I had to turn around and admire it again. It was 43 minutes at the turn of the loop and the skyline was clear and pretty. The return was pleasant, and I took the normal way back to the trailhead (as opposed to my shortcut like I did on the way up.)

In the low part, on the last bit of trail going east before turning south, I was suprised by a raccoon that was walking across the trail just a few yards ahead of me. Likewise, it was surprised by us and took a leap onto the trunk of the nearest tree. The tree had a pretty small diameter and the raccoon was clumsily trying to get higher. Ed and I got a good, long, clear look at it for quite a while, but dang, I didn't have my camera! After about a minute I knew we needed to go on. The tree was so skinny the raccoon really didn't want to go up much higher, so one of us had to act. I wondered if raccoons ever attacked by jumping down on something out of a tree. I've never heard of that, but I was sure thinking it and became a little wary about walking right under it when it wasn't even up very high. I could have reached up with my hiking pole and touched it.

Eddie and I went under it and after several yards turned around to watch it. It apparently wasn't coming down until we were long gone, so we headed on to the car.

Total hike was 1hr, 35 min. I got picked up a salad and something for my mom and went to her house. Ed and I didn't get home until after 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment