Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hiking vs Walking

My cousin is on her way and will arrive tonight, and we plan to do some light hiking while she is here. Recently I've been reading some other hiking blogs, and by "other" I mean REAL hiking blogs by REAL hikers. So I've been thinking... if I haven't been really hiking, have I just been walking?

After some thought I have decided that if you can do it in clothes you wear to work, it is walking. If you have gear purchased for the sole purpose of walking in the woods, even if it is only one thing, then it is hiking. If you are walking on a paved or maintained path, it is walking, but if you are negotiating rocks and roots, going up and down, and you could not push a baby stroller on it, you are hiking.

I do not wear my work clothes or shoes when I go out, and I have:
1) a garmin 250 
2) trail shoes that should not be worn on concrete 
3) two pair of hiking boots (one for regular, one for wet and muddy)
4) hiking poles 
5) a camelbak hydration pack for longer outings 
6) two double-bottle waist packs for shorter outings (one can also hold an extra lens, if I so desire) 
7) one of those safari-style hats with a little neck hangy-down part to protect the back of your neck from the sun 
8) an emergency medicine pack that I carry with me in case of back spasms or vertigo. 


I may have more, but this is all I can remember at the moment. Where I go you could not push a baby stroller.

I go hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment