Saturday, October 2, 2010

1st Hike Since May

Although making some progress toward my master plan for the house de-clutter, I'm always finding reasons to delay. Today was a wonderful, not-too-warm, brisk windy day, and I jumped up, harnessed up Eddie and we went to TM. I'm not going to spend time bemoaning how all the yuppie do-gooder "park friends" are ruining the place, but I'm sad the days of yore are over.


The hike was great: went yellow/blue to the upper, up the tadpole to the turn for Yoshi pond, meandered around the top a bit then caught the blue back down to the lot. Things I forgot to bring on the hike:
    < hiking pole (left in my car)
    < garmin 
    < sweat rag (left in car)
    < water (left in car)
    < trash bag
    < emergency pills
    < Eddie's prong collar
    < virginal trail shoes


My cousin will be here soon so I've got to get back in the groove.


I knew it was too windy to take the camera, so I didn't even try. We saw only one pic-worthy subject - a common green snake a little over 2 ft long. It was basking in the trail just as we turned east to the yoshi pond. Since I didn't have a rag or water I didn't want to pick it up... didn't want to deal with snake ass that couldn't get washed off - so I was content to rub my finger down its back and watch it dart away.


Total hike was 40 minutes, and my foot didn't hurt and still doesn't hurt. It was my first hike with my orthotics, and I can't believe I forgot to wear my new trail shoes! I was wearing my 2-year-old asics which have all the knobby nubs worn down, giving me very little traction. Dang.


I plan to go again tomorrow; I need to go charge my garmin.

No comments:

Post a Comment