Monday, October 4, 2010

3rd Hike

Today made 3 in a row for me and Eddie. My practice has always been that I can manage two of the following 3 items, but never all 3: Eddie, camera, hiking pole. After today I don't really want to take Eddie when I plan to take pics. I missed a few good shots of butterflies with him, but it was still nice having him there.


We went in the back way, blue/yellow/off shoot to the top, then meandered. My purpose was to take a pic of the huge fungus clump at the base of that tree. We also saw a good number of pearl crescents, common buckeyes, and skippers, along with the fall harvestmen everywhere.


We were out there for 1 hr, 25 minutes. Our time and distance are improving. I wore my new trail shoes for the 2nd time today, and so far I love them.


little fall asters where everywhere, some white and some light lavender

 common buckeye; most of the butterflies I saw today were weathered

 large clump of fungus mushrooms; if you enlarge it you can see the two harvestmen near the top and one near the bottom

 2 clumps in different stages of decay

 fall grasshoppers are always plentiful, this is the best shot I could get of it on my shorts and trying to focus with one hand while Ed was tugging at the other

 this katydid also landed on me, then flipped on over to a tree

one of the many pearl crescents I shot today

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful pictures ... I'm jealous. I'm still trying to figure out how to zoom on my camera. I totally relate to not being able to take the dog with when taking pictures. Freckles does not like to a) be patient b) go where I want to go and c) be patient.

    ReplyDelete