Sunday, June 1, 2008

Hiking Substitutes

Because of itchy bug bites I will severely limit my summer hiking, going only when I can no longer stand not going. A and I are going on a hiking vacation in the fall, so I'll really have to keep with the workouts at the fitness center to be ready.

Since this blog is basically a way for me to make notes about my hikes, and since I won't be hiking much, I will use it for random thoughts and pics throughout the summer. Regardless of what the calendar or astronomers say, I consider summer to be June, July, and August.

Mark's eggs are not fertile. They all collapsed in on themselves within 3 days. I'll keep watching for the other girls to lay and hope that Rebel is doing his part. Hmmm, Rebel and 5 girls... does that make my turtle area a polygaturtlemist compound? I hope Texas doesn't find out about it.

You can see how all the eggs have a large sunken-in area. Since I know they aren't fertile and I'll be discarding them, I turned them to show their sunken in part

Elwood is my daughter's turtle. Here he is on a retaining wall and eyeing Eddie, who is reaching up to look at him

Sorry about this one - for some reason Elwood gets a bit excited when A. holds him. Here he is just beginning to stick it out. His tail and cloaca area are a bit wet because he, uh, squirted on himself

So many things like the little day flowers! Here is a 2-for-1, and as usual I didn't even notice the extra in the photo because I was concentrating on the slug. It's some kind of assassin bug nymph.


I have never ever been able to get a pic of neolema or oulema with the head and eyes sharp. I was about to discard this pic when I realized it's pooping, and has already left a couple of tiny neolema turds on the leaf. This beetle is about 1/8 inch long and maybe 1 1/2 rice grains in girth. So the poopettes are really tiny.


Tiny, green metallic fly. I think they are pretty. Probably they are really nasty little things. I think the little metallic ones are called dancers


Orangish/bronze metallic fly, about twice the size the of the green one


Small long-horned grasshopper trying to evade the camera, and doing a pretty good job of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment