Thursday, June 5, 2008

Backyard Wildlife

This evening while playing with Eddie I saw the little green metallic fly and the larger orange one. I dashed in to get my camera and I never saw them again. So I took pics of other things playing around the dayflowers.

I had pretty good luck for not using a tripod. I took photos at the top of the retaining wall, which is about 4 ft high.

This is the cute little long-horned grasshopper from the other day. OK, I realize if there's one there can be a dozen or more, but I'm pretending it's the same one. They are especially adept at scurrying around to the opposite side of the leaves to escape the full monty. I cropped it weird like this so you could see how long the "long horns" are. They are sometimes over twice the length of the body.


Stinkbug


I finally got a decently clear shot of neolema. I took many pics last summer, but no matter what the face and eyes are always blurry. I'm pretty pleased with this one, and BONUS! She's grooming!


And I also got a decent shot of the oulema.


This thing was even tinier than the beetles. It might be a hyaline grass bug. Or at least some kind of grass bug.


Here it is in profile


My favorite is this one - a really cute spiderette!

3 comments:

  1. Eeeek! That cute spider looks like a fiddleback (brown recluse) to me. Google some photos and tell me what you think, and please do not pick it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm positive it's not a fiddleback. I'm the resident fiddleback identifier at work, because we have them in every nook and cranny. This is not one, but I don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! I swear it looks just like the pictures, except for the leg bands, but I even found one pic with those. What is it? Size? Posture? Attitude? I must bow to expertise and experience, but it hurts. :-)

    ReplyDelete