Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Eggs Look Good

So far Sunny's eggs appear to be good. I brushed a little vermiculite off and they are still nice and plump. Her nesting site was all covered and disguised today. What a good mama.
I didn't go out to see the turtles until around 7 this evening, and the only ones up were Twyla and Mark. Twyla was again showing she-man dominance, this time over Rehab, who had bedded down among the thickness of the wild strawberries. Twyla was in position but all clamped up by the time I got to them. I've had box turtles since 1979 and I've never had a female like this.

I had taken some nice chunks of nectarine out to them and gave one to Mark, and put one in front of Rehab and Twyla (who I had moved over several feet.) A little later, noticing the stirring, Blocky had come out of slumber and was sharing Rehab's chunk. Even Twyla had stuck her face out a little and was nibbling on hers. I went back in and got the rest of the chunks and put them in areas where I suspect some of the turtles sleep. After mowing I went back out to clean their water pans and every morsel of nectarine was gone, and all were in bed somewhere!

Today I decided that my goal will be to hike up and down the steepness of TM, from bottom to top, 5 consecutive times. This will be in preparation for a hiking vacation my daughter and I will take in the fall. I told her of the plan and she agreed. I don't know if this means I'll get up early on some weekends and start working towards it, but I do know this: I want to enjoy our vacation and not have to stop and gasp for breath on the inclines. I will have to prepare.
Here are a few pics from TM on 6-3-07:
This is one of about 11 - 13 ponds. It's just east of the tadpole, where the empty turtle nest was that I posted several entries ago.
Going south from the taturmobile, this largish lizard kept running ahead, then looking back at me. Click on the photo for a much larger version
A winding trail on the low part, just north of the lower lot

No comments:

Post a Comment