Monday, June 9, 2008

Photoshop Envy

Over 2 years ago I took a Photoshop class and purchased Photoshop CS2. And I actually read the pages and pages of licensing agreement jargon as I was installing the CS2 program on my computer. I understood it to say I could install it on other computers I owned. For college use my mom and I had recently given both daughters laptops. They were purchased and registered in my name.

After installing PS on my computer I moved next to daughter B's computer. All went well. Then I began on daughter A's. It wouldn't load. I called Adobe and found out I was allowed to have it on only 2 computers, even if I owned more and they were in my house. So daughter B, who had taken a photography course at a tech center, really did deserve to have it. Wait...

Shortly after arriving at OU for her 1st semester she did something to her computer and had to have help from their tech support to fix it. The 'fixing it' wiped off PS. That was
over 1 1/2 years ago. This past weekend she took photos at a friend's wedding and assumed she could use PS on my computer in order to work the pics. But yesterday something happened to my computer and I've temporarily lost all my programs and files.

She found the original disks and tried loading them on her computer, and it worked. I guess the program recognized her computer as an 'approved' one. So all this time she has been without, and it was so easy to fix. So this evening, as she's working with the photos, I mentioned that I was thinking about getting Photoshop Elements for daughter A.

B stopped working and glared at me. "What is that?" she demanded. "Is it the same as this one?" "No..." I replied, and before I could continue she started spinning and twirling about A getting better and newer stuff than she had. After she settled down I had the chance to explain that she had the full-blown CS2 creative suite, while elements was just part of what the real photoshop could do - just a cheaper, lesser version. Well, OK then.

I guess the rivalry never ends. By the way, I selected their laptops since I was buying them, and I wisely got identical ones. You know what she said then? Guess...

"I always have to get the same thing as A gets! Hmph!"

I don't know why I haven't given up, and I don't know why I'm not in jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment