Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Humid Hike with Cousin

Tuesday was heavy with air moisture, and after the dog park (where there were 3 other dogs) we went to TM with a camera but no dogs. Sole purpose was to take some pics of the pretty wildflowers we saw on Saturday. That was the plan.

Between Saturday and Tuesday we had some severe weather in the area, and there were deathly tornadoes within a 100 mile radius. We hadn't realized the damage it would do to fragile tiny petals and such. We found one Indian paintbrush. One. The rosa multiflora were completely torn apart, and there were fewer wildflowers overall than just 3 days prior.

My biggest excitement was chasing my first giant swallowtail off-trail, trying to get a shot. I lost it in the vegetation, but it was fun. Here are just a few of the 76 pics, in hiking order:


I have studied the book, and now finally can ID the difference between yarrow and wild carrot (aka Queen Anne's Lace). This is yarrow on the trailhead area. The bigger plants up the tadpole are wild carrot

I haven't been able to ID this one yet; east side of trailhead in the lower meadow

    Indian Paintbrush in same meadow   
            

Don't know what, but it was tiny and cute

A very weathered painted lady in same meadow

Weathered variegated fritillary, same meadow

Milkweed, same meadow

Spongey fungi. Really. It was soft and pliant. I didn't like touching it; north of meadow

Spiderwort - my favorite flower on the mountain; north of meadow

When I realized the race for the giant swallowtail was in vain, I used my toe to turn over this camouflaged-wrapped plastic cup, and found this large scary-looking spider

Red-banded hairstreak I found in the same area where I took pics of one 3 years ago

Rosa multiflora was rain-beaten on the lower blue

Don't know what this beautiful dainty flower is; it was on the lower blue

No comments:

Post a Comment