Saturday, April 19, 2008

Butterflies and Larva

I released Rehab again, as supposedly the temps will now stay stably warm. Eddie and I took a short hike about 11, parked at the upper and went west with my macro lens. We took the first right off the gate trail and made our way to bramble hill. We met a couple with their very friendly 2 rottweilers and lab. At the bottom of bramble hill the eastern-tailed blues were plentiful. Then we went to photo the raccoon skeleton, and specifically to try to get a carrion larva for proper ID.

We saw several bikers and many goatweed leafwings. All in all a very pleasant hike of about 70 minutes. I won't take Ed with me tomorrow because I want to try to get some good butterfly shots and I can't manage that with him.
These pretty little grass flowers were everywhere in the area just north of the tadpole. UPDATE: Cranky Lady IDd these as spring beauties


While off-trail in that same area I came across my first poison ivy sighting of the spring. Looks like now I'll stay on the trails until winter


Also in the same area I saw a lizard dart across my path, but this is all I got of it!


Carrion larva and friend on the raccoon scapula (I think). It was the only larva I saw on the remains


I bagged a larva and brought it home. This is the pic my cousin asked for, showing the 6 legs

I really was patient, but could never get a good shot. I think this is an eastern tiger swallowtail


A male goatweed leafwing - one of many many I saw. A lot of them were darting in pairs


Eastern tailed-blues mating


This one is my prize - a rare (for me) glimpse of the top of the eastern tailed-blue.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! Now I know what a carrion beetle larva looks like.

    The "grass flower" is Spring-beauty (genus Claytonia, purslane family). This is fun. I don't have many annual flowers to look at here, already too hot and dry.

    Hahahahahaha (stanky car).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you're right again. My car lost the stank, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete