Thursday, March 20, 2008

Lake Exploration

Eddie had his dental work today ($154, $100 less than Lucy) and did great - he was raring to go when I picked him up, but I was told to let him basically rest. While getting him to the car I noticed a dance shop in the same center with the vet and popped in to ask about tap shoes. For a few months now I've been thinking about learning easy, basic tap. I've never tapped and have secretly wanted to for many many years. The lady suggested cheap shoes and I asked about others. I took Ed home and went back with foot hose, thin sockies and regular socks, just in case.

The cheap shoes, MaryJanes for $20, felt too tight, (and I tried on the largest size.) I asked for leather-type shoes and she got out a pair of "split sole" shoes that felt really nice. Of course they were over 3 times the cost of the cheapies, to which I saluted my huge feet one more time for costing me extra.

At home my right toe began to feel tight, but I figure the shoe will stretch a little. My heels hurt a bit after a little tapping so I found a pair of insoles I'd kept from an old pair of athletic shoes. I ALMOST threw them away last week after years. I cut the toe half off and slipped the heel part in the shoes and my problem was solved. Only it made my right toe a little tighter. However, the more I tapped the better my toe felt.



New tap shoes and the modified insoles that work beautifully. Hey, I'm wearing them now and getting ready to tap

So tonight I've been watching beginning tap lessons on YouTube, pausing, tapping a little, watching some more. Oh boy, I have a lot of work ahead of me. Not to mention I'm scuffing up the back door vinyl floor. I have a bed-sized plank in the garage, something else I've been transporting around for years, and soon I'll move it into the living room and will have a somewhat cushioned platform.


We got a late start hiking, not leaving the house until 4:15. We took the Tadpole to the 1st lake on the left, and for the first time made our way down. It is wonderful. There was a dam/path across to the other side where we found a curved, natural spillway to a small pond about 20 feet below. Because of all the recent rain it was like a little waterfall. We continued on the west side, taking a north path just before we got to the top of "Bramble Hill", as I now call it. The beautiful path wound around for a long time and we were hoping to find a back path down to the 2nd lake, but didn't find one.

We continued north until we came to a T where we took a loop back south. There were some older smaller more-manageable bike ramps, and the rest was uneventful. We finally came back to the top of Bramble Hill and finished on the west side. About 2 hrs and we were tired, probably from walking carefully to keep from slipping in the wet leaves and mud. I saw my 3rd butterfly and got my first tick.

Eddie should be all recuperated tomorrow and go with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment