Friday, March 28, 2008

Dog Pack

It was a wonderful cool evening, in the high 50s, so after work Ed and I headed to TM. We parked low and went west, taking the 1st left at the big gate. I was in search of the vireo nest but ended up turning north and went by the 3 lakes instead. We turned south again just past the washing machine, trailed along the south side of the creek and finally crossed over to the north side at the apple snacking boulder.

Since the spring growth is just starting we were able to take cut-thrus and go off trail, following the stream for a ways. While doing this I found a small mammal skull 5 inches long and 2.75 inches wide from outside the eye sockets. I'll look it up, and if I can find it again I'll take a pic when I have my camera with me.

While continuing through the rough to the Fairy Dust Trail, Eddie learned to hop up on the boulders on cue and check out the surroundings. He's so cute! Anyway, we turned left on the Fairy Dust and looped around to the boy scout rocks, then took the next left to loop back around to the main N/S trail.

Near the end we picked our way down Bramble Hill to the little side path on the south that I came through several days ago. I discovered a small trove of blackberry canes that will have easy access!

Today I packed a harmonica for the first time in my shirt pocket, and I did play a couple of verses of Piano Man, very very softly. Why I even took it I don't know.

Earlier, before we had crossed north across the stream, we heard quite a rustling in the leaves in the distance. I sighted the butt ends of 3 large dogs making their way up through Rock City. We waited until we couldn't hear them any more before continuing. I figured they were with a jogger or cyclist.

Then, after looping around to the left of the boy scout rock, we heard more rustling and I caught a glimpse of them again - 3 large dog butts. We waited this time for about 4 or 5 minutes, because I didn't want them to see or hear us. They were much closer than the first time. When we got to the spot where I had seen them I realized they were not with a person. The trails on the west are not full of leaves, but the rest of the area is. The dogs were bounding through the rough alone, like a pack on the prowl. It made me a bit wary and we kept our eye out for the rest of the hike. I hope they weren't a gang of thugs.

Upon reaching the parking area near dusk there were only 4 other vehicles there. I saw a bb walking up the gravel road to his car right there in the corner. I had 2 other sightings of bbs in vehicles. Just thought I'd mention it.

Apparently there is either a trail runner race or cycling race tomorrow. There was yellow caution tape in several places on the west side to direct the flow; small, barely-visible stumps in the paths were sprayed pink; and there were 2 porta johns by the parking lot.

Our hike was 1 hr, 55 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment