Sunday, March 20, 2011

Most Memorable Moment

During my most recent mandolin lesson, 2 of my instructor's sons (young adults)  were there and at the end of my lesson he called them in the room to play Django's Mangos with me. My instructor composed DM, and his son's were obviously familiar with it. They are all professional musicians and I couldn't believe they took time to play with me. Instructor played guitar, son 1 played an acoustic/electric bass, I think he called it a stick bass, and it was the coolest thing I've ever seen, and son 3 played mandolin.

I started the melody, then each took an improvised, rehearsed most likely, solo on their turns, then he called out, "Take the melody" to me on the last time through. I will have to say that this experience ranks up there with birthing babies, really. I still can't believe it happened to ME!

As cool as that bass fiddle was, and it makes me want one, I was focused on the mandolin. The kid is phenomenal. I describe his playing as fresh honey flowing over river stones. Ann, who takes lessons from a pro fiddler in the OKC area who also happens to play with son 3 sometimes, listened to a recording of them the last time she was there for her lesson. She had never heard son 3 play, and she described it as sounding like a magical instrument of the gods.

At the end of the tune, the boys complimented me and thanked ME for playing with THEM! Such gentlemen!

Here I am, playing it solo. Instructor had me omit most of the chording when I played the melody with them. He said when there are other players to fill in, one instrument doesn't have to try to do it all. I'm quite sure that it was his polite way of telling me that I'm crowding the music and need to tone it down until I am better able to handle the chord fills.

All I have is my imac to video with, and my back is already practically against the wall. I tilted the monitor and positioned it best I could to get the full mando, but it didn't work. I would have preferred to cut off at the neck and eliminate my head, like so many posters do.

Both pets came and flopped around on the floor while I was recording, so I decided they also wanted to be in the blog:

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, that sounds like a wonderful time. I didn't play the videos yet, as I'm in a noisy restaurant & wouldn't be able to hear them, but I will. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are having as good a trip as possible given the circumstances. Yes, I was lucky and had a wonderful time, probably as unbelievable as a month in Thailand! I'm not joking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally watched/listened -- nice. You are getting better and better, and you look happy doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone else said I looked contented, too. I have been consciously working on eliminating facial tension, not that I had too much to begin with, but any at all is too much.

    ReplyDelete