Sunday, October 19, 2008

Opossum Hike

This afternoon Eddie and I arrived about 4 ish. The lot was full, we got the last spot, and there were cars parked around the edge. We took the craggy trail straight to the top. I didn't have any hike in mind other than meandering around the mountaintop. Today we came across more hikers/strollers than bikers, and lots of dogs.

While we were going north on the ridge trail we met a couple and the man was carrying their dog. It was smallish, maybe 20-25 lbs, but certainly not a little lap dog. I said, "Awww, did somebody poop out?" and they mumbled yes, he wore out. I thought it a bit strange that a dog that big was being carried, and he was being carried high, with his head/face tucked on the man's shoulder nestled in his neck. The man's hand was on the back of the dog's head, the way a baby is carried.

Just a few minutes later Eddie spied something off the trail so I stopped and looked. Eddie was on full alert, and I finally saw it: a possum! But something was wrong. It was standing there like a taxidermied exhibit. I stood there. It stood there, not twitching a muscle. It was really weird. Then I noticed something was wrong - it had severe head and facial injuries which looked to be very fresh. It looked like some skin had been pulled off and the blood was very red and wet. It finally trembled a little, turned, and slowly and painfully walked away. It looked to be in shock. I know its injuries are so severe that it will die.

And I wonder if that couple's dog, who did not have a leash on him, had run off the trail and wrestled with it. Maybe the dog was also injured, which makes sense the way it was being carried.

I noted on my Garmin where I was and I'll go back next weekend and see if I notice an odor. As long it's going to die anyway, which makes me sad because of its injuries, I might as well try to get another skull for my little collection.

And OF COURSE I didn't have my camera. Just like I didn't have it when I saw the raccoon, the baby lizards, the 2 eastern velvet ants, 3 of the box turtles... I'm thinking of buying a small camera to carry with me on all hikes for occassions like these... ... Nah, I don't want to spend the money.

I wore my Montrails with the pro heel cups, and had taken a preventive naproxen before leaving. My plantar fascia was a bit tender but certainly under control. I started feeling rubbing on my left instep, though. I now have a peely blistery area there, but not too bad. A bandaid should be enough. I was wearing regular socks because all my balegas were in the wash when I left. All 5 pair in the washer at once. I think they make a difference. These regular socks felt awful. I guess I'm going to have to go buy even more special socks.

Let's see, I have now purchased... 20 pair! And now daughter B wants a pair for Christmas, too. No one could have ever convinced me that any sock could be so special.

Total hike: 2.86 miles, 1 hr, 21 min. I did end up meandering around the top, and it's fun to see my trail on my Garmin Training Center map. Did I ever mention how much I love my Garmin?

1 comment:

  1. What happened to "Phooey on the Garmin"? So recent, like a lovers' quarrel? Did you and G have makeup sex?

    You think you are the only sock nut? I bought a pile of them too, more than one style. I got a couple of the long-top black/grey combo, and yes the difference is visible but not eye-catchingly so.

    I soooo miss your pics!

    ReplyDelete