Sunday, October 26, 2008

Meandering Mountaintop

We arrived before 2 and headed straight up. Once on top we wandered all over the connecting trails on the top. Eddie led, and Ann let him choose the direction each time. We finally hooked up with the ridge trail and went north to the turtle head boulder.

We watered Ed, ate some grapes, and Ann climbed the turtle head. She found a lone harvestman and played with it for a while, then found a large leaf-footed or stink bug. She saw it squirt some stank, as she called it, out its back end, then it kept going along on the boulder top. Do bugs pee, separate from their poop? I don't know. She thought it was stank and I told her to bend down and smell it, but she was in a precarious position and couldn't. I think she just didn't want to.

While at the boulders we looked around for a good hiding spot for a geocache, but couldn't find one suitable. The best place, a large crevice/opening at the base in the back of one of the boulders, was guarded by poison oak. No thank you. We also looked for a good hollow while meandering the top, but only one I found, on a fallen, rotting tree trunk, she nixed because she said nobody would want to reach into there looking for it.

We have both registered as users, and she has logged at least 10 finds so far. I don't have any, but haven't tried yet.

Total hike: 3.4 + miles, 2 hrs. I forgot to start the thing until we were part-way up the craggy top, and I stopped the timer when I knew we were stopping, and sometimes forgot to restart it. So these aren't official numbers. We planned to go about 5 miles but my foot was hurting, and my big toes. Now that I'm wearing heel cups I may need 1/2 size larger shoe. I'll go in Thursday before we leave and maybe buy another pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment