Monday, May 26, 2008

Memo Day

At 6pm I decided to take a quick, fast hike and I did. I parked high with the flat area of Rock City my destination. The washing machine was less than 15 min from the upper, and flat Rock City about 25. I had to step carefully and evasively a lot because of all the rain we had last night. Parts I've never seen muddy were standing in water. The pros of hiking after a big rain: frogs croaking in the pond areas, roly polies crossing the path all over the place, happy birds, butterflies, no other people. The cons of hiking after a big rain: all the standing water and mud, no honeysuckle fragrance, and some kind of a bee/fly that kept landing in my hair over and over and over. I had to sweep my hand over my hair every few seconds to get it off. It was loud and heavy. Total hike 1 hr. I had to hose off my soles afterward. I took just one bottle of water in the sling case, and it was very nice not having the backpack. Without the backpack, though, I didn't have my sweat rag, (which I needed) kleenex (which I didn't need), emergency pills (which I didn't need for vertigo, back spasms or breathing issues.) While walking back I picked one tick off my leg, then another off my arm on the way home. Nasty things.
First day flower of the season! Actually there were 4 today, but today was the first day.

This is the same day flower at 8pm. They usually whither about 2-ish

This is from the tumble down barrel where the pink flowers always bloom. This is the first year there have also been white ones.

This morning I found a worm and tossed it in the compound. The whole series is in an album on Hooly's facebook page

At 8 pm Blocky was still up, I don't know why

Mark was digging a nest. It's almost 9:30 and she's still digging, so maybe it's real. Often they partially dig false nests. I don't know if they are testing the soil, or tricking egg predators.

You put your left leg in...

You take your left leg out! You can see the scoop of dirt she has. It's a labor-intensive process. Heee!

No comments:

Post a Comment