Saturday, September 4, 2010

Moth Caterpillars

First, the junk house: the following evening the pods were gone and this was going on:


The next day all the rubble was gone. The kid's toys are still on the front patio, and the fsbo sign still is in the yard.


This evening I was playing ball with Eddie and noticed the small redbud transplant had an area of completely stripped leaves




So I looked around on the leaves and found this American dagger moth underneath a large leaf:






I looked around for more caterpillars, but found only a couple of more areas where the leaves had been stripped. I know already the first thing I will do when I get up tomorrow.


As long as I had my camera out I strolled the perimeter and looked for other buggy things. This spider thing, I'm not even certain it's a spider but I believe it is, on a rose of sharon bloom:




And since I'm posting the American dagger moth decided to include Alonzo, the carolina sphinx moth from last year:


Alonzo feasted for a few days on one of my potted tomato plants, and one day while at work I had decided to feed him to the turtles that evening. When I arrived home Alonzo was gone. I read they bury themselves in the soil, pupate, then emerge in the spring, I think. Alonzo was named by my co-worker who has to endure all my buggy adventures.


Today my mom and I took her new car out for a spin, and we made a quick stop at TM. I can't wait to get back out there. I have a follow-up appt for my stupid foot on Tuesday, and am hoping to get the green light to start walking/hiking again. Our weather is approaching perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment